Friday 2 August 2013

INTERNAL MOTIVATION (a Soccer Story)

There was a young boy who came regularly to soccer practice but never made it to the starting team. While was practicing his father would sit at the far end of the field, waiting for him. The matches began and for four days the boy didn’t showed up for practice or the quarter- or semi-finals. He appeared for the final game, went to the coach and said, “Coach, you have always kept me in the reserves and never let me play in the games. But today let me play.” The coach said “Son, i’m sorry, i can’t let you. There are better players than you and besides , it is the finals; the reputation of the school is at stake and i cannot take a chance on you.” The boy pleaded, “Coach, I promise I will not let you down. I beg of you, please let me play.” The coach had never seen the boy plead like this before. He said, “Okay son, go play. But remember, I am going against my better judgement and the reputation of the school is at stake. Don’t let me down.”

     The game started and the boy played like a house on fire. Every time he got the ball, he shot a goal. Needless to say, he was the star of the game. His team had a spectacular win.


       When the game finished, the coach went up  to him and said, “Son, how could i have been so wrong? I have never seen you play like this before. What happened? How did you play so well? The boy replied, “Coach my father is watching me today.” The coach turned around and looked at the place where the boy’s father used to sit. There was no one there. He said, “Son, your father used to sit there when you came for practice, but I don’t see anyone there today.” The boy replied, “Coach, there is something I never told you. My father was blind. Just four days ago, he died. Today is the first day he is watching  me from above.

Internal motivation comes from within, such as pride, a sense of achievement, responsibility and belief.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment